Monday, September 13, 2010

EMILIE GHILAGA



I am so excited to share with you a recent interview I had with dear friend and designer, Emilie Ghilaga. I have known Emilie for almost 15 years and have had the pleasure of watching her style evolve (it was always fabulous and ever-emulated by classmates and friends. Emilie has always been a tastemaker and an ever evolving personality. Emilie hit Jaipur last year to work at the famed Gem Palace and explore the many gifts of India. While there, Emilie met a tailor named Rajneesh, who upon meeting her read her palm immediately saw the loving open-hearted spirit (we all see) in his new friend. Emilie designed four dresses for herself and Rajneesh got to work. These easy to wear staples, which carried her through her journey in India became the talk of all her friends upon her return, and thus With Love, Emilie Ghilaga was born in Emilie's spirit of sharing her gift for design and style with all of her friends.

Emilie shares some of her style secrets:

-How would you describe your personal style?


My style is very eclectic and based on my mood. One day I will be a sari wearing moon goddess, or a fur-wearing upper east side yeti, some days I prefer Woody Allen-style late 70's Ralph Lauren woman, and other days an urban love warrior bounding through the streets of New York on my way to yoga.

What brings it all together is the simple yet profound mathematics of a silhouette, the way clothes hang, how low or high depending on a person's body. What elongates, or shadows, and what enlightens.


-How has it evolved? How does this help you as a designer?

In high school, I was enamored with high fashion. I knew every collection, every model, every season. I would costume myself at any chance I could. However, I eventually grew out of it and started to shed my detailed and attentive attitude towards the fashion industry. Instead, I read books whose characters inspired me, and moved to different places in the world: France, Kosovo, Jackson Hole and ultimately India. In these places I would take on personas of style. I would assimilate and yet also be myself.

In this way, it has stabilized me as a designer who has a specific look and yet simultaneously keeps ideas fluid and aligned with the fates of fashion.


 -Favourite designers?

Adolfo, Tom Ford (Gucci era), Luella Bartley, but it's hard because I do not have specific favoured designers, I have favourite pieces. Certain collections with a dress, or pair of pants that are like the elements of fashion; archetypal and divine.


-Favourite items in your closet?

Prada dress from Spring 2001
22k gold snake ring from Gem Palace
Black leggings
Pucci ski pants
Black leather motorcycle jacket from 1969 that I bought on Ebay
Hand-made polo boots from Dinsen in New Delhi
Silk royal blue Sari from Udaipur
Coyote hat from Montreal
The Perfect Girlfriend dress from my collection, in Provence print
My Daytripper dress (also from my collection) in white


-What items in your closet are a fall go-to for you?

Two suits I had made in India, one tweed and one navy wool
My polo boots
Black Nike sneakers paired with a puffy jacket and leggings
One of my many cloaks I have acquired on impulse


-Wish list for fall?

Timberland boots
Combat boots (still have not found the perfect pair!)

I am actually in the mood for a much more athletic fall, perhaps a Patagonia men's puff jacket.

However, if I splurged I would purchase:

Balmain purple fur coat
Anything from Oscar De La Renta this year. In my opinion he nailed fall, and the spectrum of bold women who would wear the collection. It reminds me of Cruella Deville on acid.
Amazing goddess warrior dress from Cavalli
And some Chanel Mammoth outfits


-Makeup/Beauty product you can't live without?

I don't really wear makeup, except the occasional liquid eyeliner. So any face stray, Evian, Caudalie, Forrest Essentials.


-Perfume?  

I usually switch it up each season to become a new woman. Currently, it is Gucci by Gucci, however I really like Leafs of Gold by La Prairie, Bulgari Jasmin, and Dolce & Gabbana Men.


-Fav bag?

YSL Muse Bag
Leather LL Bean backpack
An old Chanel clutch of my mom's. I have had it for years, and it never gets old


-What is your fashion motto?

"Simple Bliss"
 or
"Fashions Back in Fashion" (that isn't really my personal one, it's something I made up and thought was funny)


-Lastly, which With love, Emilie Ghilaga piece does every girl need and why?

The Perfect Girlfriend dress, which was the whole reason the collection exists. It comes in some many colours and makes every girl look like a bright fresh flower. Everyone who wears it tells me of the undeniable, positively lovely attention she has received from just about everyone that looks at her walking down the street.

ps. the above is totally true, I own two of them!


Le FIN   ...well almost, on to the pictures!




Pucci ski pants




Polo boots



Lookin' sexy in her vintage motorcycle jacket

Dress: Prada
 
Fur hat!!!
 


Fav purse


With Love, Emilie Ghilaga PERFECT GIRLFRIEND dress

Balmain purple fur
Chanel Mammoth
With love, Emilie Ghilaga DAYTRIPPER dress


visit her website and buy a dress! @ www.emilieghilaga.com

No comments:

Post a Comment