Tuesday, September 28, 2010

LIZARD

Photo: Liz Kaye (The Blonde Doctrinaire). Dress: Marc Jacobs. Skirt as throw: Betsey Johnson. Dog: Sebastian the Chihuahua

My best friend, Lizard, (ok, don't get upset guys, I have a few) is a fashion chameleon. Banker by day (I always make fun of her because she has to wear a suit to work) her after hours style is the complete opposite. Our taste is fairly similar: basic staples paired with stand out pieces, which is why we are pretty darn good at shopping for each other. Plus, with her classic looks and model physique, it's a safe bet that anything will look great on her. I often receive phone calls, one from as far as a trip to Texas, "Marni dress on sale, your size, want?" Clearly, my fashion PiC (Partner in Crime). This said, she always gives me the best presents: evil eye pendant (in her fav things below), Giles & Bro multi chain bracelet and most recently, an Andy Warhol finger puppet. She is also my patient, go-to model for my fashion shoot experiments.

Elizabeth invites us into her apartment and closet to take a peak...

Elizabeth's closet (s)
1. How do you describe your personal style?
     
Clean Rock & Roll/Clean Grunge.


 2. Who are your favourite designers?

 Prada, Marc Jacobs, YSL, Jil Sander, Chloé, and (drumroll) Alexander Wang. Phillip Lim and Rag & Bone also consistently have great pieces.


 3. Stores you love?

I appreciate stores with thoughtful buyers: Kirna Zabete, Barneys, (before it closed in NYC) Linda Dresner. Online, I really like Aloha Rag.

  
4. Whose style influences you?

I don't have a person that specifically influences my style, however, certain music, people, eras, and ways of life influence my style mood in one way or another, I think that comes out in my sartorial choices. To free associate: Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Hunter Thompson (gonzo lifestyle), New Order, The Clash, Madonna, Iggy Pop (not so much for his style, as he practicallywears nothing) but his aura, David Bowie, and Jean-Luc Godard movies (particularly great masculine style).


5. Favourite items in your closet?

 1. Evil eye necklace charm from bazaar in Istanbul. I have a sentimental attachment to it because I gave you one (as we are both obsessed with evil eye jewelry) and because we both wear it all the time. It has become a friendship necklace.
Evil eye necklace from Istanbul
  2. One of my favourite pieces from my closet is my black and white (my go-to combination) Chloé landscape dress from Fall '07. It has a cool Asian vibe.

Chloé fall '07 landscape dress (photo: first view)
3. Currently, Alexander Wang vinyl quilted shorts, a shredded linen knit shell sweater (hello, Alex Wang sample sale!) and his leather Lara combat boots from last fall. Obviously, I am obsessed with Alexander Wang. If I had a therapist they would probably say that I needed to look closely at why I so desperately want to emulate a M.O.D (Blonde Doctrinaire note: For those of you who are simply clueless, M.O.D=Model off duty).

Left: Lara boots. Right: Quilted nylon shorts, both Alexander Wang

4. I also love my Givenchy studded flats because they are tough, yet cheekily feminine. Sebastian, my chihuahua loves them too!


Sebastian. Shoes: Givenchy. Photo: Liz Kaye


6. What will you be wearing this fall/fall uniform?

I'm looking forward to wearing my Burberry plaid wooly skirts from several years ago and my Dolce & Gabbana flannel pants and vest again. I'm also excited to break in my new Balenciaga leather motorcycle jacket that I got at a sick price after the market crashed. The jacket may very well have been the only redeeming thing about the state of the economy. I will also be wearing my Siwy pleather "wet-look" pants, and my new RM by Roland Mouret leggings!

RM by Roland Mouret leggings

7. Wish list for fall?

1. Proenza Schouler PS 1 bag in black. Been wanting one for a while, totally classic.

2. I also really like what Chloé has done with their bags this fall. Very retro shape which reminds me of my grandmother's old Gucci and Charles Jourdan purses.



8. Cannot live without...

My Chanel ballet flats and nail polish collection. It's safe to say i'm addicted.






9. Makeup regimen?

-A drop of La Mer foundation
-YSL Anti-Cernes concealer in #1
-An eyeliner in an unusual colour or Le Metier de Beauté eyeliner pen in black. Do no get sucked into buying that horrific Chanel eyeliner pen which can quickly take you from sassy-chic harlot to full on hooker if applied incorrectly. (Blonde Doctrinaire note: I USE the Chanel eyeliner pen and love my thick cat-eyes, if that's hooker, find me a pimp!)
-Chanel Precision Brow Definer in Blonde Claire
-I usually end up using a mascara sample as I have so many and they stay fresh (Liz and I would like to take a moment to thank Barney's for always sending cute makeup bags with mascara and other goodies!). I particularly like YSL Faux Cils. My mother used it and got me, and subsequently my friend Julia, hooked on it about ten years ago. The scent reminds me of getting ready to go out and the evening's possibilities. 
-A small amount of YSL bronzer in #1.




10. Perfume? Why, yes please...

I have always loved YSL Opium, and this past year i've been wearing Bond No.9 Silver Factory, but right now, and probably for a long while, Liaisons Dangereuses (typical me) by Kilian. Their perfumes are AMAZING and are really high quality: you only need a little spritz as they linger on the skin, even after you shower.


11. Fashion Motto?

I don't really have a motto, per se, but one of my favourite people of all time in fashion was YSL. He had a subtly sassy tongue. A great quote from him, which I can relate to on a daily basis in nyc: "It pains me physically to see a woman victimized, rendered pathetic, by fashion."

xLiz       


No comments:

Post a Comment